December 7, 2008

RM3.7 Million wristwatch

I was fortunate enough to be invited to an event which is not possible if not for my banker friend who was not even there as the event unfolded. I had just been to another event  by the same company promoting a different brand of watch a week ago. I did blog about it here - http://kruel-legalcat.blogspot.com/2008/11/while-people-talk-about-recession.html. That week also saw me went to a very, very, very (1000 times very) lavish wedding. All these three events were interconnected in the owner of the company selling the products.




The invitation



Anyway, a few days ago saw me going to see the unveiling of another brand of watch known for its price and complication (for the automatic watch buff). I was given a lesson on how to value a wristwatch by one of the sale people who saw me wandering into the actual shop. There was the other part of the showcase where they cordonned off, tastefully, with sheer white cloth flowing from the makeshift stands which were built around the shop which was in the middle of the groundfloor of the mall, Pavilion.

I had to listen to the guy droning about how certain wristwatch are built using spring and lock as old as time and how the Titanic was also used by the same company to built a wristwatch worth hundred of thousands. I listened politely while in my mind I was reminded of Sylar of the Heroes series in which he was a boring wristwatch maker before he discovered his power to absorb other people's power. Now I know how boring a watchmaker life could be but was hoping the guy does not goes all evil on me and absorb whatever power I have. Like standing listening him droned...

Anyway, as I was wandering and waiting for the unveiling of the real star of the show, which the guy keep telling me will be in a while, I saw that the prices of the other watch displayed in their own case was already astounding. There were a few as expensive as my house at RM250,000-00 plus. There were some which were at the half a million Ringgit Malaysia mark and then I had the gall asking the guy how much is the wristwatch that they were going to unveil. Here's where I blacked out and asked for him to say it again.

He told me that it was - RM3,700,000-00 or USD1,000,000-00 or in short, not in my lifetime, even if I have the spare catch...

Here's the image of the watch....

That's diamond all around the strap and inside the face, in case you are wondering

As my wife and I drove back, we wonder if there are such wealth where you spend for self-satisfaction while knowing people dies in certain country for not having a dime to eat...

Hmmm....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

giler mahal jam tuh..aku ingat rolex jer yg mahal..hampas btol..banyak btol benda leh wat ngan rm3.7 juta ni....huhuhuhuhu~~

anyway..apsal feedburner ko tulis 0 wlpn aku subscribe blog ko? musykil..muyskill....entrecard tuh dah lama ada or baru ada?

Legal Cat said...

Nak kena check balik tuh feedburner widget aku working ke tak. Thanks for the info.

Entrecard tu baru masuk hari ketiga dari posting ni.

Byk belajar lagi ni so ada trial n error...

Annoymous said...

ah .... no 1 will wear it to go out.

Bamin said...

pak Arab yg kaya raya pun sama..berabis usd20 mill for atlantis opening..then lay off workers..apa kejadah nya..siap taxi driver sound that is Haram..cemana tu?

Anonymous said...

wow... what an extravaganza! even if i have the money i won't spend such sum on such small item. it's not worth it. as u mentioned about the poor people, the pictures of reality of poverty would surely haunt me if i buy those extravaganza.

but there r people buying it unfortunately.

Legal Cat said...

Maybe there are rich people who can afford it and still help out but its just not for me. Don't know because still struggling to make a living... If I ever reach it...

Anonymous said...

I bet even the thief or robber will not know the value of the watch. 3.7 million is more expensive than a Porche.

hauyoung said...

if im rich enough for this watch.. i rather to donate 3.7m to people who need it then buy this.

with this amount can safe alot of people.

Custom Search