March 30, 2009

Winding down after a day's work

In the book Bourne Identity,one of the sentence which I took to heart when I was reading it, was the one thing Bourne do whenever he is stuck in trying to solve a problem. That advice is simple, Rest Is A Weapon. Never underestimate the need for rest before you go into a fight. You need to have that time to wind down and raring to go again once your battery is recharged. He was willing to find a place to hide just so that he can sleep peacefully before starting running again from his pursuers. I think that saying is best advice anyone can get whatever you are doing, even though you may not be an assassin like Jason Bourne.

I have a lot of phases during my working life on how I recharge my battery. I once collected all my tiredness within a week where I would sleep late every working days of the week trying to finish whatever work needed finishing. During those time, when the weekends arrived, I would switched off and would rarely get up for anything. Then when Monday came, I would be ready for anything. I still do these type of work like a dog, sleep like a log type of week, although I rarely need to as I have learned how to delegate nowadays.The sleep itself is also important as a dreamless sleep have more quality than a sleep where you toss and turn while not really sleeping. A short sleep at intervals of your work can also help you recharge. Nowadays, if I feel too tired, I try to sleep early.

However, to some, going back home to rest is not the best way for them to recharge. They need to go to their favourite hole-in-the-wall, where everyone knows their name, put a few large one into the stomach, only then can they have their rest. Some are weekenders or like Nicholas Cage or Ray Milland, love to have those 'lost weekends' where they go out partying the moment TGIF comes and only comes out of their stupor on Sunday afternoon. Some even are users of designer drugs and believe there will be no tomorrow. Some seek religious activities as their way of resting their soul. There are a lot of way for working people to wind down, every day or every week.

What do you do to make sure you can tackle whatever you have been tasked to?

This is how you REALLY rest your weary body

3 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

I like to take a very short nap at lunch time every day. I sleep then for only about ten or fifteen minutes, but it's very refreshing. As far as rest for the soul goes; nothing beats going out alone and quietly observing nature.

Bryan Karl said...

That is one thing that I must learn, that I need rest before anything else...

Legal Cat said...

Power nap. Useful in the long run...

Custom Search