September 26, 2009

Looking Good equal Good Chances of Getting Hired

Whenever I interview anyone for a job in my office, I will always size up the person in front of me to see how they are dressed. As most of the candidates that I interviewed are those who seek to become a lawyer in my office, as opposed to clerical staff who are interviewed by my office manager, I consider personal grooming to be a plus point for the candidate. It is not about having good looks but more about looking good. You can have a face like a film star but if you are unkempt, you will leave a very bad impression with me. I may even consider you to be unfit to be hired.

I have posted a blog post before on Dressing for Success and being a lawyer, this couldn't be emphasized enough as people sometimes sum up the career that you span by the way that you dress. I do try to present myself in a good light whenever I am invited to events which require me to wear a suit but as I am also of the slacker generation, who believes your mind is more important than how you look, I do tend to dress down at events which are attended mostly by them. Although that is the case, I still wear a jacket over my shirt but I try to loose the ties. Maybe I can get away with it as I owned my own business and most of the clients that retain me as their lawyer have known me for quite sometime.

However, it was found for corporate climber, it was found that results from a recent survey of more than 500 Human Resource professionals, commissioned by Gillette and conducted by Harris Interactive, 84% of Human Resource professionals agree that well-groomed employees climb the corporate ladder faster than those who are not well-groomed. As for first impressions, 90% of Human Resource professionals place more importance on being well-groomed than even a firm handshake. Gillette has engaged career expert, Mark Jeffries and GQ style correspondent, Brett Fahlgren to further supplement the insights from the Human Resource survey with their own expert advice for guys who are looking for a new job or looking to get ahead in the job they currently have. Gillette has launched the Gillette Career Advantage  website where job seekers and professionals looking to get ahead can review expert advice from those 2 guys; take the Gillette Career Quiz and read through the Hire Guide to see what Human Resource professionals really think.

So, go ahead to Gillette Resource Center, get the experts to advice you on personal grooming and maybe, just maybe, you can clinch that dream job. I always believe, during work, there is no occasion you will ever be 'over dress'.


My friend Kid Chan, never fail to dress up for whatever occasion


Post?slot_id=54892&url=http%3a%2f%2fsocialspark

4 comments:

Ken Wooi said...

yeap.. the way we present ourselves is very imporatant.. it's the first impression for others. =)

kenwooi.com

Rick (Ratty) said...

I studied Benjamin Franklin, one of our major founding fathers here in the US. He advocated a very similar thing. He always strategically dressed in the most appropriate way. After finding this out, I changed my appearance completely. I used to look like a complete slacker when I was younger, even though I wasn't. I was still perceived as one. I make sure I follow my hero Mr. Franklin now, and it works well.

adahlan said...

like de bono said, a beautiful face/figure is meaningless without a beautiful mind.

Legal Cat said...

Kenwooi + Ratty - When u reach a certain achievement, we can be slacker again, or not...

Adahlan - Still, being both can be a plus

Custom Search