September 15, 2009

Making food for charity

Before the Twestival Kuala Lumpur on Saturday, a few hours before the event, there was another event in which I was invited to. It was a charity event in which a food which require hard work for it to be made. They listed the time for the event to be between 10am to 10pm and I am not surprised as it takes a minimum of 5 hours for the concoction to be made. They made it there and sold to the public for those who want to support the charities they sent it to.

I was there due to an email I received from Global Entrepreneur Week organiser (read what GEW is here) which invited me either to join them in making a concoction which was later to be sold or buying the finished products. As a lawyer, I joined the event to get to know people but I was late and I just bought a few of the concoction.

The event was to make the sweet sticky concoction at the premise of the Global Entrepreneur Week media partner, called the Media Prima group. The email inviting me to the event has this to say :

All proceeds from the sale of the dodol will be donated to the poor, orphans and single mothers through Media Prima's Tabung Bersamamu, Yayasan Salam and entrepreneurship education activities for the underprivileged by Warisan Global and other GEW partners

So, I went there, though I was a bit late, meet a few of the GEW staff and volunteers, bought some of the dodol (that is what the concoction is called) and hope my little contributions did make some difference for those who received it.


Here are some picture of the process that is required to make the food (which is not many as I was late to the event and was rushing to the Twestival KL) :

 
The place where the event took place, one of Malaysia's leading TV station


 
They used machine and brute force to mix the concoction of coconut milk, sugar etc
  
A close-up 
 
The volunteers
 
The sticky sweet concoction
 Putting it into containers of 1/2 kg


 
Waiting for it to cool down before properly packing it
 The finished products at RM30 per container

The concoction is called DODOL and last year, I did a rough survey with my wife how many house served this concoction as one of their Eid Fitri's servings and we only found one. This is a traditional concoction and it is a shame not many people are willing to spend nearly 8 hours in front of boiling cauldrons to make it. They made 10 cauldrons of it that day and sold it for charity. I find that commendable in the intentions and the willingness of them to come together to do it. Each village or housing area should sometime do this event.

No comments:

Custom Search