July 21, 2009

I wrote a book and now someone wants to publish it!!!

I have written a book a year ago after I went to this workshop 'On how to write a bestseller in 88 days'. Actually one of my earliest blog entry in this blog is about me going to that workshop. You can access it here (I just realised I published my first post in June last year and that means I have reached my blog anniversary but didn't celebrate it). I had a few books in my mind but was not sure about people's reception of it. Especially with Malaysian being unable to accept Malaysian writers. How wrong was I. 

When I went to the workshop, the company who held the event is also a publisher, albeit a new one. The owner, writer and presenter that day, by the name of Azizi Ali, is a very prominent pilot cum self help writer cum motivator cum business owner cum financial planner cum TV host. He dabbles in a lot of things but is known more for his financial acumen for layman. He has books which was written for layman complete with jokes and easy presentation.


I actually took his way of writing and apply it to writing a book which explain law. As the current 'hot' topic or should I say a topic which never go out of style, is about housing, I wrote a book on what a purchaser of a house should expect when they are dealing with a lawyer. It was specific to Malaysia. It was specific when you buy a property from a developer, meaning a first hand buy. It was the easiest to tackle and explain. I wrote it in a question and answer style, expecting the questions from the purchasers. My firm have dealt with so many purchasers for how many years of our existence that I have heard all sorts of questions.

I was actually also sceptical about my ability to write. I started to write immediately after that seminar and I was surprised by my ability to frame, to write a few chapter and even did the whole introduction/preface. I managed to write one full chapter, prepare the questions for other chapters, then tragedy struck. I discovered blogging. If you see the topics I wrote in this blog before, I think I did I mentioned one of the fun of blogging is the ability to publish and edit (sometimes) your own work. You are the one who controls everything. As I got distracted by the blogs I have and all the perks attached to being a blogger, I put my book on the backburner. 

Then, I got an idea of trying to ask the publisher, which was just 2 weeks ago, whether they are willing to publish just a part of the book. As I have written the first chapter, I asked them whether it would be enough. They asked how many pages were the first chapter and today after looking at it, they agree to publish it. And the best part, that owner who owns the publishing house, whom I admire but wouldn't admit to his face, has been asking for my manuscript since he heard of my idea. 

To tell you the truth, without his endorsement, I may not even have written one word on the topic. And I will reveal properly what I have written, gradually.

p/s - I actually found an entry on the outline of my book here

9 comments:

Mother Goose said...

Congratulations. You have celebrated a year of blogging; an important accomplishment. And now to have a book published. What an honor.

Webmaster said...

I always now you could.

Webmaster said...

Congratulations, bro. It's unsuprising however, for you were always have been a great writer. Kudos.

Rick (Ratty) said...

Congratulations on your book and and for being a blogger for over a year. If your book is anything like your blog, it will be a great success. The good thing about blogging is that it gives you the experience, and some feedback, so you can write another book.

Daisy said...

Ohh cool! That's great news! When you get published, may I have a compli copy? *wink*

Btw, I love the new header!

;-)
~Daisy
http://inlovewithdaisies.blogspot.com/

yoon see said...

Congrats Kruel:)
You have inspired me a lot through your blogging entries:)
Although I am still new to your blog but I do stop by and read!
I also went to the Azizi Ali talk, the one hosted by MPH.
I thought of writing a picture book.
Thanks for your heartfelt too:)
All the best!!!!!

Unknown said...

Congrats! =)

Legal Cat said...

Thanks guys for the wishes. Am building a passive income stream. Already working on the next book

lina said...

Wow! That's cool. :)
Congrats to you.

Custom Search