January 5, 2009

Calling-in sick

On Mondays, it is well known that there are a lot of salaried persons will look for an excuse to not come to the office and the most favourite excuse is by calling in sick. Of course, we cannot say this is still the norm as in this new modern era, work itself has evolve into a different creature altogether. People can work from home and still be millionaires. People can invent one thing, either arts or an invention, then stay home after selling that one item to big corporation for millions. I know these people and even I who can come and go to my office at anytime, envy them.

Let us go back to those who loves to call in sick. Some of these people are not even sick but the momentum of weekend will seeped into their subconcious that they will want to extend the feeling that they felt then. Mondays are well known for its Monday blues and even popularise by the cat name Garfield who never had to work a day in its life. By the way, why does that cat feeling the blues? My cat sleeps the whole night and then continue to sleep after they finish bothering us when they see we start preparing ourselves for work.

There are a few occasion when I have to go to the hospital or clinic on Mondays. And I will regret doing that the minute I see a row of patients waiting at the waiting room of the place. I will try to schedule the appointment for another time or just buy the medicine from the pharmacy. It's just not worth the wait. Or if I feel really sick, I just call my brother in Johor to diagnose my sickness through the phone and prescribe me a medicine.




My own Garfield...



In my office, any medical certificate is receive with a pinch of salt. Those who call-in sick must be able to produce their MC the next day that they come for work. If not, that sick day is treated as part of their annual leave. Some manage to produce it and some don't. In an office where most are female, if there is suddenly a need for an extended leave of absence due to woman problem, as I have a few female partners, it shouldn't have been a problem for any one of the staff to talk to them. We even extend the rule to having to sent children to the doctors. They even have to produce a chit to show that they really go to the doctor.

Its not that we don't have compassion, my partner and I, as we still have no children. It's just that we believe in running a tight ship and even with all these rules, there are deliquency. I bet there are a lot of other employers having the same situation. So, make sure that Monday blues does not impede the work as I bet all employers notice that ingenuity of yours...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cat looks so cute!! I am a cat lover, obviously :P

Legal Cat said...

That's the problem. Everyone wants to be a cat. Sleep all day. They tend to influence me too sometimes... ;)

Geek @ Kedai.TV said...

Haa hAaa Haa...masa I kat HKL... monday super busy... 350 odd patients from 8-11.30...

I terus letak signbboard + kotak, MC 1 hari -5, 2 hari - RM8...

I hanya conteng diagnosis (URTI, GE etc etc etc) , nama ...dan sign....


Life is like that..until you work for your own...sick or not..sama jer.

Custom Search