June 19, 2009

Don't know why I need the morning paper...

...and 8 o'clock news.

 
a better use of television


I was born in the 70s and had seen my father bringing back newspaper and watching television at 8 o'clock every night to catch the latest news. I have been brainwashed, not sure by who, to accept that news in the newspaper I read is the truth. That really remind me of this book by Terrt Pratchett called Truth about a guy who runs a newspaper printer. Discworld was never the same again.

The weird thing is, if it came from my parents, I am not reading the same newspaper as what my parents are reading. They read 2 newspaper and I only buy 1. I don't even subscribed. My wife, on the other hand, has to have her Garfield and Calvin & Hobbes though the latter are recycled over and over again for the umptenth time in that particular newspaper. And, yes, we both know the illustrator is already dead. 

Anyway, I like to consider myself to be ahead of the curve with Twitter, Facebook and blogs as my daily fodder. But, I will still rush to see what is on the news at 8pm or if was out at that time, the English version at 12am. And if there are news I already know from the morning twit, at 1.30pm. 

Even though I cursed of their one-sidedness. Of being bias. Of not reporting what has been going on in Twitter-verse or internet-verse. 

I guess, that really show my age...

p/s - seems I got the facts wrong here, thanks to Lin who commented. Both Jim Davis (Garfield) and Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes) are still alive and well. Bad researcher (me!). If they did discover this blog (as if), hope they forgive me...

3 comments:

Lin said...

I don't believe either Jim Davis (Garfield) nor Bill Waterson (Calvin and Hobbes) is dead. Bill Waterson just quit drawing the cartoon, but is very much alive. Unless I missed the evening news???

Rick (Ratty) said...

I used to read the paper from front to back every day. Now I think I read more Terry Pratchett. I love Discworld.

Legal Cat said...

My wife caught the bug and keep on rereading Discworld books. Sad that Terry Pratchett has alzheimer

Custom Search