June 1, 2009

My property investment story_Part 1

I believe in investing in properties since I have the money to invest. In my portfolio, I actually have 2 of my own (both of which I have sold) and 3 with my business partners. 4 residential and 1 commercial. 2 high-ends and 3 medium cost. Not all in the Klang Valley, which is considered as THE place to make money. Some are just a bit on the outskirt and one is really far out of town. Those I liquidated made money and those I am still holding is climbing up the chart in prices. How did I start to invest in it? Here is a part of the story...

My parents did it before when they were young and reaped the benefit. They are millionaires in their own right though they only drive a 7 year old car, locally made. They made their money buying and selling properties. With wisdom they managed to make ten-fold of the money the paid to buy those properties. The wisdom may have been handed down by someone but the risk they took was great and paid off. What they lack in finesse and brand-conciousness, they made up in their travel and capability to pay for almost any basic human needs. Especially medicine and health related expenditures, in their old age. Before I knew of Trump or the local equivalent of him, I have seen my parents 'flipping' properties to make money.

The difference between what my parents had done and what I did in the last few years is the time that it took for them to flip it. My parents bought most of the properties in 1970s and 1980s in growth area such as Bahau, Semenyih and a few outlaying areas which is not really within the growth area itself. These places really took some time to have significant impact on the price of properties. However, due to the insight of my father's father, who was my grandfather, they bought lands, not houses, unlike those former properties, which were mostly houses and this is where they made a killing. These properties were sold, during the time I am already a lawyer at 15 times their original prices. That is why I myself take a leaf from these lesson and follow suit.

Basically, this part one is just to show from where I got the know-how and the drive to invest in properties although I am far from being them....




Just one of the land which they bought which is 15 times the worth when they bought it as the current Kuala Lumpur International Airport was not even in the master plan when they bought this piece of land. Now KLIA is just 10 miles from this land

2 comments:

Kellaw said...

dropping by. left BU for good

Legal Cat said...

Why? But you can always stop bye here

Custom Search