August 1, 2009

I am a sell-out

I mean, I have sold my soul to the devil of capitalism and became one of their minions. I have blogs which I have posted advertisments in which I try to sell things which I may not even wear, even if it ever arrive to my shore. Most of them are not even sold here. Okay, let me rephrase that. Some of them are not sold in Malaysia by a proper boutique opened by the company which manufacture the products. Malaysia is famous for its 'unendorsed' branded goods, so saying certain brands are not here is wrong.

Anyway, let us talk about being one of the minions working for the devil. A blog was supposed to be born for you to write something that you have an interest in. In my case, I registered 4 blogs, have 2 active ones which I post something everyday and 2 which I reserved the name for future use. I write everyday for the past 1 year and it actually help refined my writing. I have evidence which show that my writing a year ago was so lousy that a colleague thought that writing was done by someone else. 

Basically, my point is, even good writers have long ago sold their sold. Are they not write to sell books? Didn't they get paid for their articles? There are those who write for magazine which has more advertisements than articles. Are they committing sins? Rarely are blog nowadays does not has at least an adsense advertisement. I say, if you do not want to make money at all from your blog, keep it private. Then you are as pure as dew in the morning. 

As for me, I will continue writing all that I still believe in but occasionally, I may write pure commercial writings which may intrude the space reserve for quality writing. Just bear with and next time or if ever you meet me, you can at least ask me to buy you a drink.

6 comments:

Niki Cheong said...

I'll take you up on the offer of a drink. :)

Don't worry about "selling out". Man have sold out for so long that the term should just be obsolete. :)

After all, everything - even individuals - are not a business and a brand.

Rick (Ratty) said...

I am a firm believer in Capitalism as a good thing, as long as both parties in the deal come out of that deal happy. When somebody cheats another it is not Capitalism anymore. There is no harm in trading something you have that has value to someone else who has something you want that has equal but greater value to you. Advertising is only showing a product to people who might be interested. They never have to buy anything. If you think of it that way, you are never really a sellout, at least not in a bad way.

Julehya said...

"Pure as dew in the morning" .. hmm! I don't know whether that was meant to be a rebuke or a compliment. Yes! I have never run commercial ads on my blog although I have been considering the idea for sometime now. That does not mean I am not getting paid for it. When someone reads my posts and tel me they appreciate it. That to me is a payment enough.

I will take you on your drink offer when I visit Malaysia. :)

Daisy said...

Ha! Too much coffee I see... Honey, all bloggers with Google ads wanted to earn from their blogs. Add that some even over-ad their blogs. Just don't make yours look like an ad with a blog. Instead a blog with ads... how's that?

Daisy said...

Oh and I forgot, I was reading your posts and comments too much I forgot why I was here in the first place. (well for today, that is)... It's to thank you for once again being one of my top 5 EC droppers!

XoXoX

Legal Cat said...

All those who want to take me up on the drink can ask me the next time you meet me. I am telling it as a matter of blogger evolution but I do try to be pure...

Custom Search