October 17, 2008

Sold Soul (a fiction of epic proportion) continues...

(This is an ongoing online novel started as a fictionalised events of my life. Its based on true events not all experienced by me but there were some total fictions too)
I finished my studies in law in 1998 with a whimper. I did try to be a model students in one year of the four years I was an undergraduate and managed to score in most of the exams on that one semester but I just couldn't stomached the gruelling hours to be a dean's list student. I went back to my partying ways as soon as the new semester to the new year was opened. That one year of constant studies made the grades in total when I graduated quite commendable. And of course the A- that I got for the thesis that I had to do, on the flooding in my kampung and the law governing it supervised by one of the toughest lecturer in my university's Law Faculty, who incidently is related to me, helped too.

I graduated second class lower and was released to fend for myself in the tough world of job market. It was 1998 and the recession had just finished battering itself on the Asean stock market. There was a lot of ego being busted and Danaharta was busy saving big companies from becoming small company and small company becoming non-existent.

I went back to my hometown and quickly thought of going for a graduate studies. MBA was foremost in my mind but my bubble burst when I was told that one need to have at least two years experience before one was admitted into an MBA program. The next option was to complete my journey in becoming a lawyer by chambering. I can choose either one of two options.

One would see me travel up and down to KL where my master would be my parent's neighbour's son who was one of the first (or was it second) batch of one of the premier (supposedly) law faculty in Malaysia. This guy was one of the first lawyer I got to know when I was choosing the course that I want to take after I finished schooling. I met him even before I finished my law school and promised to get in touch with him when I did finish.

The second option is where I will be monitored by two women lawyers who were a friend of my mother who had a small partnership in Seremban. They were two young ladies then (8 years older than me who graduated at 24 years of age) and both of them each held positions in two of the most revered business societies for women. This became a bone of contention in the later year of their practice, long after I left, as each accused the other of being too committed to their society than the practice. They split and opened a practice on their own. The one who became my master (mistress?) where I chambered had even been said to be mysteriously on the run, if the rumours was true, due to unpaid debt.

After weighing the two options, I choose the latter and was given the usage of my parent's car. It was the start of my Seremban period, where I first cut my teeth into the legal world and where my worldview was limited to that small town before the call of the big city changed everything.
Custom Search