October 21, 2008

Sold Soul (a fiction of epic proportion) continues...

(This is an ongoing online novel started as a fictionalised events of my life. Its based on true events not all experienced by me but there were some total fictions too)


The office where I was supposed to chamber was at the end of the row of shops in Seremban. It was near the Seremban court, then, and was adjacent to a place called Singapore Street where wholesaler sold things from condensed milk to brooms. It was always busy with lorries and people walking on the street looking for bargains, especially during festive seasons. If you arrive there early, there were always parkings just beside the building. As for me, I always arrived at the office no earlier than 9am where the parkings were already mostly full and I have to make a few rounds before I can get a parking.

In Seremban, during those time, it was easy to get anywhere within 5 minutes. Basically, my typical day will start off with me waking up a 8.45am, in which I may or may not have breakfast at home. Reaching the office 10 minutes later, I would park the car around the shop office where my office was situated, I would then check my schedule whether I was entrusted with a case or not. Most times, I would just hang around the office until either one of the partners arrives.

Both partners were ladies in their mid-30s. One is married with 2 kids and the other one was single. The single one was my master. She was the only lady lawyer in town who was known to be a court brawler. She was the protege of a very well-known respected lawyer whom no one was willing to face in court as he never lost a case. She managed to chambered and worked with him for a few years although he was known to throw files for no apparent reason. He then became a judge whom everyone feared to face in court as he was known to bite heads off for no apparent reason.

My training in becoming a lawyer was basically filled with trips to the court to look for someone to do cases for me when I was still not allowed to represent client in court (you are only allowed to after 3 months). Lounging around at the court's canteen for hours waiting for my case to go on. Sometimes (quite often when I became bolder) I talked other lawyers to go on farther to other stalls and restaurants around town. It then became a known fact that I always look for company for breakfast and there were nearly 5 to 6 'regulars', who were mostly more senior than me. I then became more closer to the partner who was married that she would always look for me to take to lunch and appointments. During the World Cup that year, we even have a running bet on who would win the game that night.

Cases that were memorable that I got to do when I was chambering was a divorce case (syariah) where I had to pull a young boy from his father's arm to give to his mother when the court decided for the custody to be witrh his mother. It was heartbreaking to say the least.

Another case saw me having to sit through a rape case, where I was supposed to sit and keep the accused company, in which the accused was a 16 year old boy who was accused of raping an 8 year old girl. My research also made me understood male and female anatomy in detail and the trick that doctor used to check whether one is already capable of sex or not. I finished my chambering before the case was finished but the stare that I got from the victim's family member made me felt want to whack the boy myself.

As my career as a lawyer started to take off, I was also excelling in my social life. Nearly all the young lawyers in Seremban then would look for me to have fun.

That episode deserves an entry on its own...

No comments:

Custom Search